7.15.2012

Read my nails

So my staycation ended up lasting longer than I had planned.  Oops.  Hopefully you didn't forget about my blog as fast as I did.  I got a little too comfortable watching reruns of The Wonder Years and putting off projects.  By the 10th episode, I didn't want to move off the couch but was a little ready to do SOMETHING.  So I tried to upgrade my fancy nail.

This is what my current nail situation looked like.  They were patriotic but now more like a disgrace to our country.


And this is what I needed to turn them around:

I removed the faded glory and put new coats of Sally Hansen's Shell We Dance and Barracuda on my ring finger.
Once the paint was dry I then dipped my nails into rubbing alcohol and held my finger in the cup for about 3-5 secs. (Do this one nail at a time.)


Then I carefully placed a pre-cut piece of vintage dictionary on my thumb nail.  I held it in place for about 30 sec.  NOTE: I tried different methods here.  Wetting the paper didn't make a difference.  'Real' scrapbook paper wasn't that great of a result.  Shortening the time of pressing the paper made less of a sticky mess but didn't have the greatest transfer results.


Don't be alarmed when the paper sticks to your nails.  At least this is what happened to me every time.  After applying the dictionary pages to each nail I simply washed my hands with soap and water.  An occasional paper fiber will stay behind but once I painted a clear coat I couldn't really notice anymore.


Things to keep in mind:  The font/design should be on the smaller side.  Your type will be reversed, so if you want to actually be able to read it, print off a mirror image so when placed on your nail it will be right side up.  IF you are a perfectionist I don't recommend doing this before going out in public.  It takes a couple a tries to get it right.

Also, I don't recommend doing this project near painted furniture.  My coffee table is the closest thing the to couch (remember I was vegged out pretending I'm Winnie Cooper).  So this could happen to you. 


Guess I know how I will be spending the rest of my Sunday!  Hope you guys had a glorious 4th of July, and an amazing past two weeks!

19 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute idea!!! I'm happy to be your newest follower via the Sunday Social! I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! Glad that you are here... you might want to check out my Hot Days Cool Art post for your kiddos! Can't wait to get over to your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. How do you even come up with these ideas!!!!! So adorable!!! I can just see Miley sporting that!!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest girl! And I'll tell Miley next time I have a Party in the USA! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this ideas, they look great! I am a new follower would love a follow back at http://lefthandedideas.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute nails!! What a great idea. Hi, I'm your newest follower from the Sunday Social. :)

    Kathy @ http:www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Always wondered how people did that... :)
    Greetings from Hamburg, Germany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered the same thing, and now I know how easy it is I will be doing this more often! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh wowzers, this is a really fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's a very cute and cool idea, Thanks for sharing and have a great Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen all kinds of projects using vintage book pages, but this one is an original! Very cute and original!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Inna, so I just checked out your blog and I officially want to be you when I grow up!

      Delete
  10. Cute idea!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Cute and unique idea. I love this. I may do this next time I go to a scrapbook retreat and everyone will want to know how it's done! Found you via the blog hop and am now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love these nails
    I'd seen them in another feature among my magazines
    and keep meaning to give it a whirl.


    New follower, follow back?
    Muchos Smiles,
    bb, xoxo

    http://ispythroughthekeyhole.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete