6.09.2012

Hot Days. Cool Art.

When it starts getting hot outside, make Ice Paint!  This is a fun twist to regular water coloring painting for kids- and a lot more fun too!

{You will need: Popsicle sticks, an old ice cube tray, tempera or craft paint, water and a freezer.}

 Step 1:   Squirt a different color of paint into each cube… or double up.  If you want your paint to be bright and thick pour enough paint to cover the bottom of the cube.  If you want your paint to have more of a water color consistency just put a little dot in each.  There is no wrong ratio of paint to water.


 Step 2:    Add water to ALMOST fill the tray… doesn’t overflow otherwise your colors will run together!


Step 3:  Add a Popsicle stick to each cube. 
(I ran out so I just cut straws to put in each).   And stir the paint/ water mixture.

 Step 4:  Leave the sticks in and freeze- overnight is best!

Step 5:  Remove from freezer and gently twist the tray to loosen up your new paint cubes!  We took ours outside on a hot day and let the ice melt over our crayon drawings making a crayon resist! 


This project is great for little ones because you don’t have to worry about spilling the water cup, rinsing out brushes, or permanently mixing the colors in the watercolor tray.  They can use the sticks to scoot the paint across their paper and the summer heat does the rest!  Older ones can help you mix and there is very little clean up!



Love it!  Happy Saturday!

19 comments:

  1. That's adorable! I can't wait to try :)

    xoxo,
    jamie brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! And so much fun I will bet! Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea. Thanks for linking up
    Hugs
    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That makes some awesome art. I love the idea because it is so simple! I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janine! Thanks for finding me! I am your newest follower too and love that you are a teacher! I used to teach elem art, so i will keep passing the kid art projects along! :)

      Delete
  5. How cool! That's such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! This is flippin' brilliant!!!! I'm submitting this to a blog I read. She'd LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae! Just one of my ole teaching projects i had up my sleeve. :)

      Delete
  7. CUTE!!!! I want to incorporate this into summer school!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! Have your kids mix it one day and make art with it the next! Really great for mixing colors too! Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. I love this idea! I can't wait to do this with my kids. I like the idea of no brush clean-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Shawna! Thanks for following! And sharing your great ideas too! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Glad that you found me- and now i'm your newest follower! Check back for more kids crafts! :)

      Delete